BSD 5.0 Perl question

Gavin Davenport gavdav at gavdav.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 14:04:40 BST 2003

Thanks Sam,

I have a number of
 # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Sat Nov  9 19:46:10 2002
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
type lines in my /etc/make.conf as I've tried deinstalling, cleaning and
reinstalling a good number of times.

The latest (at the bottom) is:
# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Fri Jun 20 09:05:58 2003
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.8.0
PERL_VERSION=5.8.0
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
As required (I think)

It just seems to have a number of unpleasant knock on effects when you
rebuild the perl install, things like my postfix and pflogsumm are whining
about not finding objects in /usr/local/lib/perl/site_perl/5.6.1 and so on.
I think I picked the wrong version in the first place and have built apps
around that install, which I've gone and broken by ripping out Perl and
putting it back in again.

/usr/ports/net/cvsup & /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
Cool - I'll have a look at these. I'm hoping these can help me untangle some
of these dependencies.

Cheers :)

Gavs

--- Gavin Davenport <gavdav at gavdav.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi there (first question to the list)
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble handling perl and its
> relationship with other
> packages.
>
> I've discovered you can run make clean in /usr/ports
> which cleans the entire
> collection. Nice :)
>
> However, I'm really confused about what (if any)
> perl gets installed when
> you install the OS (FreeBSD 5.0) (I'm sure one
> does), and then the fact that
> most of the packages seem to include perl 5.6.1
> rather than my preferred
> perl 5.8.0.
>
> When I run make clean I'm getting loads of this type
> of thing:
> ===> astro/stars
> ===>  Cleaning for libiconv-1.8_2
> ===>  Cleaning for gettext-0.11.5_1
> ===>  Cleaning for gmake-3.80
> ===>  Cleaning for imake-4.2.0_1
> ===>  Cleaning for libtool-1.3.4_4
> ===>  Cleaning for perl-5.6.1_11
> ===>  Cleaning for freetype2-2.1.2_1
> ===>  Cleaning for expat-1.95.5
> ===>  Cleaning for XFree86-libraries-4.2.1_5
> ===>  Cleaning for stars-1.0
>
> Suggesting its cleaning all packages its dependent
> on too.
>
> I _think_ I've pkg_deinstalled perl 5.6.1, and
> 'made' perl 5.8.0.4 from the
> ports collection. This gives me a problem with
> MIME::Parser and IO::File so
> have to pkg_add -f

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All/perl-5.8.0_
> 6.tgz
> over the top (yuck) which fixes the problems.
>
> How do I get my ports tree to go looking for
> dependencies with perl 5.8.0 ??
>
> I want to re-compile postfix - I think I'd better
> understand how to maintain
> the ports tree first.
>
> How do I go and grab all the latest ports info
> (Makefiles,distinfo,etc..)
> for the latest ports collection ??
>
> Gavin.

> ------

=====
Those who do not learn from Dilbert are doomed to repeat it