BSD 5.0 Perl question

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 13:47:43 BST 2003

Here's how I _think_ it works:

There's no perl in the base system for 5.x. When you
try to build a port that requires perl, it goes and
builds perl 5.6.1 by default. There's a command called
use.perl, with which you can tell your system to use
the system perl or perl from the ports, and when you
run it it dumps something like this:

 # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Sat Nov  9 19:46:10 2002
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

into your /etc/make.conf. Now I'm guessing that if you
install the version of perl that you want (which may
or may not mean deinstalling the version that's
already there, which sounds like a dependency
nightmare) then hack this file to refelect this new
version, it'll Just Work (tm). Or maybe not. Can
anybody else confirm this, or else tell me I'm
hopelessly wrong?

As for updating the ports tree, you'll want
/usr/ports/net/cvsup (you might be better adding this
as a binary package, because it has to build modula 3
first...) and then /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade...

Just my friday afternoon 0.02

Sam
;)

--- Gavin Davenport <gavdav at gavdav.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi there (first question to the list)
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble handling perl and its
> relationship with other
> packages.
>
> I've discovered you can run make clean in /usr/ports
> which cleans the entire
> collection. Nice :)
>
> However, I'm really confused about what (if any)
> perl gets installed when
> you install the OS (FreeBSD 5.0) (I'm sure one
> does), and then the fact that
> most of the packages seem to include perl 5.6.1
> rather than my preferred
> perl 5.8.0.
>
> When I run make clean I'm getting loads of this type
> of thing:
> ===> astro/stars
> ===>  Cleaning for libiconv-1.8_2
> ===>  Cleaning for gettext-0.11.5_1
> ===>  Cleaning for gmake-3.80
> ===>  Cleaning for imake-4.2.0_1
> ===>  Cleaning for libtool-1.3.4_4
> ===>  Cleaning for perl-5.6.1_11
> ===>  Cleaning for freetype2-2.1.2_1
> ===>  Cleaning for expat-1.95.5
> ===>  Cleaning for XFree86-libraries-4.2.1_5
> ===>  Cleaning for stars-1.0
>
> Suggesting its cleaning all packages its dependent
> on too.
>
> I _think_ I've pkg_deinstalled perl 5.6.1, and
> 'made' perl 5.8.0.4 from the
> ports collection. This gives me a problem with
> MIME::Parser and IO::File so
> have to pkg_add -f

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All/perl-5.8.0_
> 6.tgz
> over the top (yuck) which fixes the problems.
>
> How do I get my ports tree to go looking for
> dependencies with perl 5.8.0 ??
>
> I want to re-compile postfix - I think I'd better
> understand how to maintain
> the ports tree first.
>
> How do I go and grab all the latest ports info
> (Makefiles,distinfo,etc..)
> for the latest ports collection ??
>
> Gavin.

> ------

=====
Those who do not learn from Dilbert are doomed to repeat it