BSD 5.0 Perl question

Gavin Davenport gavdav at gavdav.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 13:23:12 BST 2003

Hi there (first question to the list)

I'm having a bit of trouble handling perl and its relationship with other
packages.

I've discovered you can run make clean in /usr/ports which cleans the entire
collection. Nice :)

However, I'm really confused about what (if any) perl gets installed when
you install the OS (FreeBSD 5.0) (I'm sure one does), and then the fact that
most of the packages seem to include perl 5.6.1 rather than my preferred
perl 5.8.0.

When I run make clean I'm getting loads of this type of thing:
===> astro/stars
===>  Cleaning for libiconv-1.8_2
===>  Cleaning for gettext-0.11.5_1
===>  Cleaning for gmake-3.80
===>  Cleaning for imake-4.2.0_1
===>  Cleaning for libtool-1.3.4_4
===>  Cleaning for perl-5.6.1_11
===>  Cleaning for freetype2-2.1.2_1
===>  Cleaning for expat-1.95.5
===>  Cleaning for XFree86-libraries-4.2.1_5
===>  Cleaning for stars-1.0

Suggesting its cleaning all packages its dependent on too.

I _think_ I've pkg_deinstalled perl 5.6.1, and 'made' perl 5.8.0.4 from the
ports collection. This gives me a problem with MIME::Parser and IO::File so
have to pkg_add -f
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All/perl-5.8.0_
6.tgz
over the top (yuck) which fixes the problems.

How do I get my ports tree to go looking for dependencies with perl 5.8.0 ??

I want to re-compile postfix - I think I'd better understand how to maintain
the ports tree first.

How do I go and grab all the latest ports info (Makefiles,distinfo,etc..)
for the latest ports collection ??

Gavin.