Routed ppp

Daniel Daniel
Thu Jun 19 12:43:24 BST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Rodgers" <chris at rodgers.org.uk>
To: "Daniel Finnimore" <dan at compsupport.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: Routed ppp

> > Dns is set up by ppp "set dns"
> > I don't have numbers for www.freebsd.org, test.com is my gateway
> 192.168.1.3
>
> What about the DNS on the windows machine (view this with winipcfg)? This
> will need to be set to the IP address of Tiscali's DNS servers on the
> Internet.
winipcfg is fine, just what you'd expect to see in there.

Tiscali don't publish their dns server ip's so I just collect them from ppp.
I have tried populating the dns search order with destination ip's but no
good.

Are my routes dying, or just not all there in the first place?

> www.freebsd.org is 216.136.204.117
pinging this number gives TTL expired in transit from windows.

> Also, if you try to ping things from the shell prompt on your FreeBSD
> machine while PPP is up, does it work?
All pings TTL expire in transit from bsd.

What about surfing the web with lynx
> or wget or even just telnet to blah:80?

don't have lynx or wget, telnet to blah:80 just hangs

> Chris

Dan