Routed ppp

Daniel Daniel
Thu Jun 19 11:44:30 BST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete French" <pete at twisted.org.uk>
To: <dan at compsupport.co.uk>; <freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: Routed ppp

> > Results:
> > c:> ping 192.168.1.3 gives full reply TTL 64
> > c:> ping domain.test.com gives unknown host domain
> > c:> ping www.freebsd.org gives unknown host www.freebsd.org
> > c:>tracert www.freebsd.org gives unable to resolve target system name
> > www.freebsd.org
>
> Where do you have your DNS pointing to ? What happens if you use the
> numbers instead of the names ?

Dns is set up by ppp "set dns"
I don't have numbers for www.freebsd.org, test.com is my gateway 192.168.1.3

> > whilst online PPP with tiscali
> > I can ping 213.120.78.78 from c:> gives TTL 254
> > also 80.225.13.242 gives TTL 64.
>
> How did you supply the nat option to ppp, and did you also supply the
default route ?

Nat option was given at the ppp command line "nat enable yes" prior to
manual dialing. default route was set up in ppp.conf using the handbook
instructions.
In /etc/rc.conf you should have:

> ppp_enable="NO"
> ppp_mode="auto"
> ppp_nat="YES"
> ppp_profile="whatever-yours-is-called" "papchap"

In my /etc/defaults/rc.conf I have these +
ppp_user="root"