Selling FreeBSD

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 12:53:37 BST 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:17:26PM +0100, Steve Purkis wrote:

> I think a point that was missed is that installing ANY OS from scratch
> isn't that easy for the average Joe - indeed, I doubt that most people
> ever attempt it. Now if there were machines in Dixons with FBSD & some
> nice X apps pre installed + an "easy" interface to the ports...

Absolutely. One of my "plans" involves approaching manufacturers with an
easy OEM build. In return, they make a voluntary contribution to either the
FreeBSD foundation or an organisation here in the UK that is then able to
invest in hiring of programmers to work full-time on FBSD.

> Another point: I would never have learnt there were alternatives to the
> way most people work (win/mac) if things were too "easy".

Fair enough. That's a training exercise though. Give them X with OpenOffice,
KDE, etc. and within 10 years you have a whole new load of kernel hackers.
:-)

--
Paul Robinson