The Gathering

Ceri Davies setantae at submonkey.net
Wed Jun 18 12:43:19 BST 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:08:07PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:59:47AM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
>
> > The closest pub to the station is the Prince of Wales; it's a Wetherspoons so
> > has cheap (if not particularly great) beer, great toilets and no music.
>
> Yum, yum! Mild Bitter! Is the Weatherhspoons in Cardiff like all of the
> Manchester ones - i.e. full of old skinflints and hooligans?

Absolutely the same, by the sound of it.  This one has a glass staircase as
well though, which has merits of it's own that I won't go into.

> > Walk out of the train station towards the bus station, keep going until you
> > get to Wood Street and turn right.  It's on your right hand side just behind
> > the guy selling flowers.  Doesn't have a beer garden either, but is perhaps
> > handy for people coming in from outside Cardiff to meet up.
>
> Maybe. Defeats the point of meeting somewhere with a beer garden. Anywhere
> relatively near anywhere we might be hanging out that does?

There are a whole bunch load on Mill Lane (not strictly beer gardens, more a
lot of tables and chairs out front).  Sam's Bar is the first that springs to
mind.  Directions to Mill Lane from the station; turn right as soon as you
leave the railway station, walk past the taxi rank (which often has no taxis;
don't panic) so that you have Burger King on your left, and keep walking
straight until you see Sam's Bar ahead of you; it's on the corner of Mill
Lane.

Ceri
--
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.