Spam problems

Paul Truran paul at truran.net
Wed Jun 18 12:19:37 BST 2003

Hi All.

I'm running a freebsd 4.5 system on my cable modem connection, with sendmail
as a mail server.  Obviously it is not set to relay mail, but that doesn't
stop people from trying, as you might expect.  It might also have something
to do with the fact that I asked one of my colleagues to test the security on
my system, which he did by putting my host name on a hacking site, and
inviting people to attack it, but that is another story ;-)

Anyway, most people just try to use the mail server a few times, then give up
when it doesn't work.  However, there appears to be one person who has been
trying many times a day for the past month.  I have traced the IP back to
somewhere in china, so I figure there isn't much point in reporting it to
them.  In any case, I'm not too worried, as my system is fairly secure (I
hope!)  However, purely out of curiosity, I was wondering if there is any way
to accept these messages, just so I can see what exactly it is they are
trying to send.  Probably some spam crap, but I would still be interested to
know.  Apparently there is probably some way to configure a rule for sendmail
to accept the messages so I can see what is in them.  Any guidance on how to
do so would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.