Routed ppp

Jonathan Dean jon.dean at deanuk.net
Tue Jun 17 18:59:10 BST 2003

--=====================_113913098==.ALT

At 16:06 17/06/2003 +0100, Daniel Finnimore wrote:
>I am still having trouble with my windows pc's not being able to access
>the internet thru the Freebsd ppp connection.
>
>I have studied the handbook on this subject but am either missing the
>point or can't find why my pc's are being prevented for using the link. I
>have static ip's locally and want to keep these.  My routing table shows
>all the ip's of the machines on the network (in PPP show route). eg I set
>up my server as test, domain test.com, no gateway, static ip 192.168.1.3
>subnet mask 255.255.255.0. my windows pc's have 192.168.1.3 as the
>gateway. Using set dns in my ppp.conf file my dns is populated now by
>tiscali, but still no windows internet. If I ping some of the ip addresses
>shown in the routing table in ppp, from my windows pc, I get 100% reply
>but with the message "TTL expired in link". I have no firewall, no nat.

You will need to use some form of NAT as the internal IP's that you have
assigned to your windows machines are non Internet routable.
I'm pretty sure that ppp has a -nat option but I'm not that familiar with
ppp on FreeBSD as I have never needed to use it.
Maybe someone else on the list knows a little more?

>Sometimes I can ping the gateway address and get a proper reply. Do I have
>to allow my windows boxes to go over ppp, or tcp/ip. If so where to I set
>these permissions.

As far as the windows boxes should be concerned the connection will just be
a TCP/IP one.

>Regards
>
>Dan

---
Jonathan Dean
jon.dean at deanuk.net             www.jondean.com

Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter.
j.s.dean at exeter.ac.uk           www.dcs.ex.ac.uk

Network Manager, Dean UK Networks
root at deanuk.net         www.deanuk.net
--=====================_113913098==.ALT

At 16:06 17/06/2003 +0100, Daniel Finnimore wrote:<br>
still having trouble with my windows pc's not being able to access the
internet thru the Freebsd ppp connection.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
am either missing the point or can't find why my pc's are being prevented
for using the link. I have static ip's locally and want to keep
these.&nbsp; My routing table shows all the ip's of the machines on the
network (in PPP show route). eg I set up my server as test, domain
test.com, no gateway, static ip 192.168.1.3 subnet mask 255.255.255.0. my
windows pc's have 192.168.1.3 as the gateway. Using set dns in my
ppp.conf file my dns is populated now by tiscali, but still no windows
internet. If I ping some of the ip addresses shown in the routing table
in ppp, from my windows pc, I get 100% reply but with the message
&quot;TTL expired in link&quot;. I have no firewall, no nat.
You will need to use some form of NAT as the internal IP's that you have
assigned to your windows machines are non Internet routable.<br>
I'm pretty sure that ppp has a -nat option but I'm not that familiar with
ppp on FreeBSD as I have never needed to use it.<br>
Maybe someone else on the list knows a little more?<br><br>
I can ping the gateway address and get a proper reply. Do I have to allow
my windows boxes to go over ppp, or tcp/ip. If so where to I set these
permissions.</font><br>
As far as the windows boxes should be concerned the connection will just
be a TCP/IP one.<br><br>
&nbsp;<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
---<br>
<b>Jonathan Dean<br>
Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter.<br>
Network Manager, Dean UK Networks<br>
root at deanuk.net<x-tab>&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><a href="http://www.deanuk.net/" eudora="autourl">www.deanuk.net</a>