Internet connection sharing

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 04:39:41 BST 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 02:46:41AM +0100, Andrew wrote:

> > He'll get a `proper' address assigned by his ISP also but he's also
> > assigned the class C address to the gateway which his Windows machine
> > can see...I think. It's not clear exactly what the address of his
> > Windows machine is but I'm assuming it's on the same class C subnet.
>
> Quite. I confess to not having a lot of experience with ppp, I'm a little
> bit spoiled on my nice cable connection ;-) Also, I use ipfilter, so have
> never even looked at ipfw/natd! Talk about experienced...

I was originally going to have a dig about all the lucky swines on
this list with their broadband connections not even knowing what a
dial-up ppp connection is ;)

> > > Also, are you using ipfw/natd or ipfilter/ipnat?
> >
> > ppp(8) has got a -nat switch:
>
> Aha! That I did not know.

It certainly makes life easier as you can run without a firewall which
makes debugging your ppp connection easier.

<shameful confession>
As it happens, I don't use a firewall & just rely on tcpwrappers ATM &
running hardly any services.

I started writing a load of firewall rules (ipfw) but soon got tired
of it...I'll make an effort again sometime soon...

> >    The -nat flag (or -alias flag for backwards compatibility)
> >    does the equivalent of a ``nat enable yes'', enabling ppp's
> >    network address translation features.  This allows ppp to
> >    act as a NAT or masquerading engine for all machines on an
> >    internal LAN.
> >
> > From natd(8):
> >
> >    This program provides a Network Address Translation
> >    facility for use with divert(4) sockets under FreeBSD.
> >    It is intended for use with NICs - if you want to do NAT
> >    on a PPP link, use the -nat switch to ppp(8).
> >
> > I don't use either but it seems the -nat switch to ppp seems worth a try
> > - assuming it hasn't been tried already.
>
> Seems like it shouldn't be that problematic. But then, I had loads of
> trouble just maintaining a connection with ppp, kind of put me off it a bit.
> Although that may have been down to the modem,  or the line itself.

ppp is OK once you've set it up; the problem is setting it up,
although I found FreeBSD ppp easier than Linux ppp. I set both up the
"hard way" ie. editing config files, as I find that in the long run
it's the "easy way".

> To Daniel - good luck!

Ditto.

--

 Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

 "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear -- kept us
 in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor -- with the cry of grave
 national emergency... Always there has been some terrible evil to
 gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by furnishing the
 exorbitant sums demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem
 never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real."

		-- General Douglas MacArthur, 1957