Internet connection sharing

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 19:26:02 BST 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:51:40AM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> > Daniel Finnimore wrote:
> >
> > I have my FreeBSD box now connected to Ontel.co.uk using PPP over a
> > 56K modem. This box has a static ip of 192.168.1.3 and the gateway is
> > set to same. I want to route my windows pc thru this Freebsd
> > connection but can't. When the internet connection is up I can ping
> > the 192.168.1.3 but not the isp (from windows). I have flushed the
> > firewall but still no joy. For now all I want is a connection, I will
> > wall it all up when I can see the outside world.
>
> It seems odd that you can only ping the gateway when PPP is working,
> they should see each other all the time. Are you connecting them
> directly via ethernet? It also seems slightly odd that your ISP would
> approve of 192.168.1.3 as a static IP...are you not getting an address
> via DHCP?

He'll get a `proper' address assigned by his ISP also but he's also
assigned the class C address to the gateway which his Windows machine
can see...I think. It's not clear exactly what the address of his
Windows machine is but I'm assuming it's on the same class C subnet.

> Also, are you using ipfw/natd or ipfilter/ipnat?

ppp(8) has got a -nat switch:

   The -nat flag (or -alias flag for backwards compatibility)
   does the equivalent of a ``nat enable yes'', enabling ppp's
   network address translation features.  This allows ppp to
   act as a NAT or masquerading engine for all machines on an
   internal LAN.

>From natd(8):

   This program provides a Network Address Translation
   facility for use with divert(4) sockets under FreeBSD.
   It is intended for use with NICs - if you want to do NAT
   on a PPP link, use the -nat switch to ppp(8).

I don't use either but it seems the -nat switch to ppp seems worth a try
- assuming it hasn't been tried already.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

Gulf War dictionary:

Fog of War: 	Confusion caused by worthless allied propaganda to
		gullible & brain-dead journalists