BSD Laptops

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 14:53:23 BST 2003

I have 5.0 running on an old Sony VAIO (PGC-505Z
maybe?), everything works fine except the ACPI (which
seems to operate on something of a
throw-a-six-to-start basis). Oh, and sjog (which I
think might be related to the ACPI issue)

Anybody know anything about the intersection of 5.0,
Sony laptops and APM/ACPI?

--- Richard Ellis <richard-ellis at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I dont know how much they cost but I had a compaq
> M700 which worked well with
> FreeBSD 4.7 - I tried 5.0 but had trouble with the
> ACPI. The inbuilt NIC
> worked but I never tried the modem.
>
> On Saturday 07 Jun 2003 14:04, MAWDSLEY, Adrian
> wrote:
> > K, I'm going on the hunt over the next week to get
> myself a
> > Laptop/Notebook/Mobile Computer Device. And was
> wanting some input from the
> > Mass-At-Large
> > I've been checking out various Unix/Linux/BSD
> laptop sites:
> > E.g.
> > http://www.tuxmobil.org/
> > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
> > I've got my budget of around £700 , so my Laptop
> will most likely be a
> > Second Hand job, though i saw a nice IBM Thinkpad
> on Dabs.com today.
> >
> > So basically i'm wanting suggestions, horror
> stories and some good advise.
> > Before i spend my wad
> >
> > If you want some specs to work from.
> >
> > 1ghz min processor
> > 256MB RAM
> > 20GB HDD
> > DVD/CD-RW (not bothered if they have to be added
> externally, as long as
> > they will run in BSD)
> > NIC
> > Modem
> > PC-CARD slot for a WiFi card would be nice
> >
> > Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help
> > Adrian

> ------

> ------

=====
Windows:  "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:  "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
FreeBSD:  "Are you guys coming or what?"