BSD Laptops

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 12:35:01 BST 2003

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 02:04:46PM +0100, MAWDSLEY, Adrian wrote:

> So basically i'm wanting suggestions, horror stories and some good advise.
> Before i spend my wad

Over two years ago now, I bought my current laptop, an IBM Thinkpad 240 off
e-bay for about 400 quid. It's a sub-notebook really without a CD-drive,
external floppy, etc. and most people's first comments are "isn't it small"
even though it's only a little smaller than an A4 pad. The only problems
I've had with it is the battery sucks, the soundcard is a pain to get
working (but possible with a custom kernel) and the Winmodem is something
that didn't work back then, and I haven't tried since.

I'm looking at buying a new laptop in the next 6 months, and my likely
candidates are going to be thinkpads again. I'm looking at the X-Series at
the moment, but it's out of your budget and doesn't have a built-in CD or
DVD drive. You might find one cheap through the channels out there, and
perhaps a refurb if you're lucky.

In my experience (I've never owned my own desktop PC, only ever laptops),
the bigger names are better supported, although korean/taiwanese re-badges
can be sorted out once you've got the FCC ID and the *real* manufacturer of
the machine.

There is loads of other sutff to consider about laptops (I've never owned my
own desktop PC since I had an Amstrad 1512) but none of them are BSD
related. If you've never bought/owned one before, shout up and I'll write up
a checklist.

--
Paul Robinson