Selling FreeBSD

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 16:36:18 BST 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 04:14:17PM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 03:05:07PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
>
> > increasing revenues, that would make sense. But we're not. We're like a very
> > big boys club. I think we should buy a snooker table. :-)
>
> Yeah, I think that sums it up quite well (note that I don't think this
> is a good thing on the whole).

I think it's a bit alienating and justifies bits of FreeBSD being poor
because nobody can be bothered sorting them out. There are a few devs who if
you complain loudly enough about something being awful will see it as their
duty to go and fix it (threads, picobsd, sysinstall, package management and
the PR database getting fat are all examples I can think of from just the
last 2 years). That's not common, and typically, if their heart isn't in it,
it won't be a brilliant solution either...

--
Paul Robinson