Selling FreeBSD

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 15:05:07 BST 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:49:51AM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> Saying that, from what I can see the attitude is very much 'Just Do It'
> - have an idea, do it, and if it's good it's good, end of story. Perhaps
> this kind of discussion is suitable for it's own newsgroup, talking
> about ways in which users can be better introduced to FreeBSD? And,
> ideas on popularising the OS (in a tasteful way, of course ;) Oh, is
> that -advocacy? How about FreeBSD-pop?

Greg Lehey, I know for a fact, has spent some considerable time trying to
harvest the entusiasm and interest in helping the project out from those
people who aren't developers. The doc project is a great example of that, as
is some of the stuff happening at Daemon News and such-like. I think this
will come, and some people who have got at least University-based
programming skills are getting involved in the PR database, which is (in my
opinion) a good way to see bits of FreeBSD you never thought you would, even
if you don't have the time to write and submit a patch.

As the advocacy - most within FreeBSD find it slightly distasteful. We use
an OS of our choice because we want to use it. Why should we try and get
others to use it? If we were shareholders in a company where we were after
increasing revenues, that would make sense. But we're not. We're like a very
big boys club. I think we should buy a snooker table. :-)

--
Paul Robinson