BT ADSL Gateway

James Read james at physicalsegment.com
Fri Jun 6 12:58:39 BST 2003

> I find with my setup my machine reboots if I try to upload large files
> due to a USB overflow, I've gotten around that by using dummynet to
> restrict outgoing traffic to 230Kbps

You might want to try using -current if you feel brave enough, there has
been some activety in the speedtouch mailing list that some people have had
some panics on the FreeBSD platform in regard to USB - /sys/dev/usb/ugen.c
(aswell as pppoa2 not performing as good as it should and other things).
This comes down to using pppoa2 and not pppoa3 in which the latter version
has many improvements over the other. But becuase there is somthing going
adrift with pthreads? (dont jump on me here, as I'm guessing) you need to
install the port
 /usr/ports/devel/linuxthreads and patch a few files from the speedtouch
source to get it working nicely (assuming you are running FBSD-current).

I know its probably not of any help but this is why I use a stripped down
version of Linux to provide basic USB ADSL support via the frog (becuase its
stable enough) , then behind that I have a FBSD  bridge that does dummynet +
ipfw rules.

In repect to your problem with uploading files, I had the exact same, also
when downloading large files aswell. Infact anything that relies on a heavy
amount of bandwidth via the USB interface to the ADSL modem would bomb out.

James.