Selling FreeBSD

Sam Smith S at mSmith.net
Fri Jun 6 11:56:55 BST 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Sam Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> > > <quote>
> > > The reason why FreeBSD trails behind Linux in the
> > > outside world is because nobody is "selling" FreeBSD.
> > > It's debatable if this is a good thing or not.
> > > </quote>
> > Some people may be interested in this article from
> > this month's Daemon News:
> >   http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200306/dadvocate.htm
>
> Yep, this article certainly puta a few things in perspective. I
> mean, if the feeling at the core of the project is that
> these things aren't a priority, I hope the push to do
> something doesn't become a victim of internal politics. I
> guess that having clearly stated goals is a key thing, so
> that any attempt to 'popularise' FreeBSD is done in line
> with what Greg Lehey called "beliefs that we hold dear" -
> whatever they are!

If you don't know; maybe you should find out before doing it.

> Saying that, from what I can see the attitude is very much
> 'Just Do It' - have an idea, do it, and if it's good it's
> good, end of story. Perhaps this kind of discussion is
> suitable for it's own newsgroup, talking about ways in
> which users can be better introduced to FreeBSD? And,

This discussion has been done to death. Many times.
If you have an idea; do it. If you need help; ask for it.
If you don't; asking for ideas again from others will not
get you very far.

> ideas on popularising the OS (in a tasteful way, of course ;) Oh, is
> that -advocacy? How about FreeBSD-pop?

I think that's what the advocacy list is for.

Just my two penneth. Which isn't worth even that.

Sam

--
  Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as
    a warning to others