Selling FreeBSD

Andrew Hodgson andrewh at jhcs.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 11:49:51 BST 2003

Sam Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> > <quote>
> > The reason why FreeBSD trails behind Linux in the outside world is
> > because
> > nobody is "selling" FreeBSD. It's debatable if this is a good thing or
> > not.
> > </quote>
>
> Some people may be interested in this article from
> this month's Daemon News:
>   http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200306/dadvocate.htm

Yep, this article certainly puta a few things in perspective. I mean, if
the feeling at the core of the project is that these things aren't a
priority, I hope the push to do something doesn't become a victim of
internal politics. I guess that having clearly stated goals is a key
thing, so that any attempt to 'popularise' FreeBSD is done in line with
what Greg Lehey called "beliefs that we hold dear" - whatever they are!

Saying that, from what I can see the attitude is very much 'Just Do It'
- have an idea, do it, and if it's good it's good, end of story. Perhaps
this kind of discussion is suitable for it's own newsgroup, talking
about ways in which users can be better introduced to FreeBSD? And,
ideas on popularising the OS (in a tasteful way, of course ;) Oh, is
that -advocacy? How about FreeBSD-pop?

Regards,

Andrew