Selling FreeBSD

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Thu Jun 5 17:35:28 BST 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:49:08PM +0100, Jon Mercer wrote:
> Two things strike me about that! Firstly, Linux is a pain to administer
> with all these variables, whereas FBSD with the ports collection is an
> administrators dream!
>
> Secondly, why would companies choose Linux over FBSD with that in mind,
> it's completely counter intuitive IMHO. One factor that strikes me
> relates to a contract I've recently been on, and it's to do with highly
> threaded applications, such as H323 proxies in telecoms. It seems that a
> RH9.0 with a preemptive kernel (2.5.x-one-million) can handle threads
> much better, but I've never seen a comparative with FBSD, only with
> Linux of a lesser version. Comments?

Linux has better thread handling than FreeBSD for 4.X, a lot of work has
been done to have really good threads in 5.x but it's not up to production
quality yet (neither the threading nor 5.x).

--
Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, wiser still to know when
it has been achieved and wisest of all to know when it is unachievable