Selling FreeBSD

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Thu Jun 5 15:30:51 BST 2003

On Thursday 05 June 2003 2:49 pm, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:30:00PM +0100, Jon Mercer wrote:
> > I'm not sure that going for a whizzy install is going to make for a
> > wider adoption of BSD. Has anyone looked at the Lehey column in Daemon
> > News, it does touch on this.
>
> I'd agree that I don't feel there's a great need for a whizzy installer.

Maybe not whizzy, but the current installer does leave a lot to be desired.
As Jordan Hubbard explained, some of them are due to the limitations of
the dialog library, but there are a number of sysinstall gotchas which
you have to learn to avoid.

Having installed a few linux distributions (RedHat and Mandrake) and
solaris recently, I can see that sysinstall is really is showing its
age.  Okay, not everyone want a step-by-step wizard install (although
it's nice when you want to do a no-brainer install :-) but having an
all-in-one installer that can detect your hardware (eg. monitor
refresh rates) saves a lot of dicking about.

libh development seems to have stalled, unfortunately, so it looks
like we'll be using sysinstall for a while yet.

> Something like Sun's JumpStart on the other hand, would be a major plus
> in my opinion.  Yes, this is probably reasonably trivial, but if there's

What I like about the Solaris installer is that you can web browse while
it's installing the system :-)

--Jon

http://www.witchspace.com