Selling FreeBSD

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Thu Jun 5 15:37:30 BST 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 03:00:43PM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> I haven't seen JumpStart yet, but I wouldn't dismiss out-of-hand what
> the visual impression of an installer can do for a new user's first
> impressions, especially if it's their first non-Windows/Mac OS.

It's basically a mechanism for mass-installing Sun's Solaris according to
a cookie-cut package manifest list. JASS came later - it's a set of
scripts for customizing Jumpstart for different machine roles and hardware
configurations.

Sun's Web Start is their answer to the 'friendly Solaris install' problem.

> Try an experiment - sit down a partner/friend/pet and get them to
> install FreeBSD. How do they get on? I think I'll try this tonight...my
> poor flatmates :)

A priori user perception is invaluable - try a particularly precocious
8 year old - they'll soon tell you if it sucks or not.

BMS