Selling FreeBSD

Andrew Hodgson andrewh at jhcs.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 15:00:43 BST 2003

Ceri Davies wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:30:00PM +0100, Jon Mercer wrote:
> > I'm not sure that going for a whizzy install is going to make for a
> > wider adoption of BSD. Has anyone looked at the Lehey column in Daemon
> > News, it does touch on this.
>
> I'd agree that I don't feel there's a great need for a whizzy installer.
>
> Something like Sun's JumpStart on the other hand, would be a major plus
> in my opinion.  Yes, this is probably reasonably trivial, but if there's
> one already available that's going to sound a lot better to the PHBs than
> "of course it can be done, but we'd have to spend some time writing it
> first".

I haven't seen JumpStart yet, but I wouldn't dismiss out-of-hand what
the visual impression of an installer can do for a new user's first
impressions, especially if it's their first non-Windows/Mac OS.

Try an experiment - sit down a partner/friend/pet and get them to
install FreeBSD. How do they get on? I think I'll try this tonight...my
poor flatmates :)

The point made earlier about an introductory text could probably be done
by anyone with the inclination and writing skill, so maybe that's
something that can be done more immediately.

Andrew