Selling FreeBSD

Jon Mercer jon at trojan-heroes.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 14:49:08 BST 2003

Two things strike me about that! Firstly, Linux is a pain to administer
with all these variables, whereas FBSD with the ports collection is an
administrators dream!

Secondly, why would companies choose Linux over FBSD with that in mind,
it's completely counter intuitive IMHO. One factor that strikes me
relates to a contract I've recently been on, and it's to do with highly
threaded applications, such as H323 proxies in telecoms. It seems that a
RH9.0 with a preemptive kernel (2.5.x-one-million) can handle threads
much better, but I've never seen a comparative with FBSD, only with
Linux of a lesser version. Comments?

Jon