Selling FreeBSD

Jon Mercer jon at trojan-heroes.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 14:30:00 BST 2003

I'm not sure that going for a whizzy install is going to make for a
wider adoption of BSD. Has anyone looked at the Lehey column in Daemon
News, it does touch on this.

Personally, I've become a huge fan of going through and doing an
'expert' install, whenever I get called upon to install FreeBSD;
however, I remember having nightmares when I first came across it. My
feeling was that a bit of better documentation of what is going on is
what is required. Anyone could do that, including me, but I haven't, and
I haven't seen any on the web, not that I've been looking. In any event,
it needs to be highly visible when a user installs for the first time.

There are a number of high profile BSD sites, so someone's obviously
managed some strong advocacy somewhere down the line (Yahoo, NASA,
formerly Hotmail, etc. etc.) Is anyone succeeding in the UK? Who feels
that this SCO nonsense is going to have an impact, either for the
better, or for the worse?

Also, if this is going to become a big thread, should we move it to
-advocacy?

Cheers,

Jon   :-)