Selling FreeBSD

Andrew Hodgson andrewh at jhcs.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 13:48:08 BST 2003

<quote>
The reason why FreeBSD trails behind Linux in the outside world is
because
nobody is "selling" FreeBSD. It's debatable if this is a good thing or
not.
</quote>

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times before, but Paul
Robinson's comment rang some bells with me. How does everyone feel about
the issue of promoting and advocating FreeBSD? Has anyone succeeded in
getting it implemented at work? Or in an educational setting?

Being something of a beginner myself, I reckon that from a new users
point of view what might be off-putting is the lack of a nice-looking
install process, automatic detection and mounting of removable disks,
and the lack of a point-and-click solution for updates, software
install, and lower-level configuration, among other things. Obviously
this adds to bloat, but this is what I see being implemented on Linux.
Not that any of that made ME switch ;) but then I am a g---.

Reading a recent interview with the core members of the Project, this
kind of thing isn't a priority at the moment. Which is fine for geeky
types like me, but I'd love to see a version that does a nice Redhat or
Mandrake-style install, with software designed for X that interfaces
with the various config files for you, in a foolproof way of course! I'd
love to write it myself, I'm just not clever enough yet.

Just my thoughts on the issue!

Regards,

Andrew