spam from the list

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 16:03:05 BST 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:14:07PM +0100, Pete French wrote:

>                 not (
>                         $header_to: contains marge
>                 )

So, she isn't on any mailing lists then? I don't like that line - it can
cause really nasty problems, or at least it will in my context. Also, I
don't like the idea of blocking entire TLDs like .kr and .tw - you might not
believe this, but I have in the past received genuinely useful mail on
mailing lists from Korea. I wouldn't want to block that. But then I suppose
your beloved marge doesn't have her fingers in as many bizzare projects and
mailing lists as I have. :-)))

Incidentally, when the spam stuff kicked off on -chat and -hackers the other
day, I ended up having an e-mail conversation with postmaster@ and he
started filtering traffic to the mailing list that matched from lines like
*confirm*@, majordomo@, listserv@, *subscribe*@ and so on, to all the
mailing lists. A nice hack in my opinion to prevent the kind of
trolling/spam hitting the lists...

To be fair, I don't have spamassasin installed, nor do I use mozilla, so I
don't have direct experience of it's effects. I know that my well.com (yeah,
I'm a 24 year old British neo-liberal yearning for digital utopia... quite).
account has it on, and I've only got it as good as word scoring within
mails, which catches bits.

This weekend I intend installing it on my proper main-stream e-mail system
and having a play. If it's as good as people say it is, I'll be impressed.
I'm not confident though - I've been offered too many "brilliant systems"
before and watched them fail.

--
Paul Robinson