seting up ports

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Wed Jun 4 15:03:42 BST 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:44:38PM +0100, Daniel Finnimore wrote:
> I have run make, forgot to collect stdout and stderr and it started to
> compile culminating in a core dump. I expected to find a copy of the core
> but could not.

This is likely because they're turned off.  Try doing "ulimit -c
unlimited" at the shell before you start if yuo want a core dump.

> As I have a partial qmail set up, ie directories are there
> etc. Would it be wise to try and make again and capture the errors, or do a
> fresh install. Do you think I could have a bad copy of FreeBSD as everything
> does not want to work??. I have never had problems like this with Sco or
> Suse.

I think starting again would certainly not harm things.  Try doing:

    # cd /usr/ports/mail/qmail
    # make clean
    # make install 2>&1 | tee MAKELOG

See if that works...  Oh, if FreeBSD thinks you have the qmail package
already installed, you may have to delete that first:

    # pkg_info | grep qmail
    (if needed)
    # pkg_delete qmail-1.03

-Dom