spam from the list

James James at reftech.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 13:45:30 BST 2003

> Which raises another question I've always wanted answering - spam must
work
> otherwise people wouldn't send it. So, who is it that receives a spam and
> decides to respond to some hairbrain home-working scheme or genital
> enlargement product? I accept that out of 6 billion people on the planet,
3
> billion will be of below average intelligence, but surely not enough
people
> to make it fiscally worthwhile are that stupid?

Depends what you mean by fiscally worthwhile, because generally it's a high
volume per unit bandwidth and they're generally looking for a conversion
ratio in the fraction of a percentage point to recoup any losses brought by
paying bandwidth charges and incorporating shell companies that collapse
upon presentation of any lawsuits.  I've read somewhere that the larger
portion of the trade is generally people brokering their email address lists
to each other.  Recently a friend of mine had their server probed,
alledgedly from an Orbs database, by a ROKSO outfit in Seattle.
Unfortunately the people that sold him the server 'forgot' to put in SMTP
authetication, so he found himself sending out 60,000 emails...

I told him to pull the plug and get the server company in straight away.

What irks me more are the companies that contract out spamming...recently
the RSPCA did it, and I had a wonderful conversation with Admiral Insurance
Group over a piece of email I received inviting me to a competition to win a
laptop from a third party.  I tend to prefix submitted email addresses with
the name of the site I submitted it to.  I was informed that three-quarters
of the way down their privacy statement was a link to a form where I could
'opt-out'.

Suffice to say that I will never use their services because of this policy,
and I don't respond to any unsolicited advertising, although I do have fun
with cold-callers.

James