spam from the list

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 11:58:40 BST 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:05:11AM +0100, Dimitrios wrote:

> Bayesian filters need teaching. I've given mine
> a folder with 4000 spam emails to learn from,
> and i haven't seen a single spam for several months.

Of course, you've also missed genuine job offers, contact mails from old
friends, hundreds of mails you actually wanted to read but have now been
marked spam and deleted forever...

The ideal solution is to just mark it, and then scan your spam folder once a
week for genuine stuff. Personally, I think I'm one of the few people who
doesn't mind spam and just skips over it - my well.com account has around 20
a day, spamassasin catches about 15 of those, and the other 5 I just delete.
It's not like it's "working", so if they want to send it, fine...

Which raises another question I've always wanted answering - spam must work
otherwise people wouldn't send it. So, who is it that receives a spam and
decides to respond to some hairbrain home-working scheme or genital
enlargement product? I accept that out of 6 billion people on the planet, 3
billion will be of below average intelligence, but surely not enough people
to make it fiscally worthwhile are that stupid?

--
Paul Robinson