NTL "broadband" connection

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 14:44:35 BST 2003

NTL claim that they block access to port 80 and port
21, but I see an awful lot of http requests hitting my
firewall so I suspect that may be untrue... as for
passwords for incoming connections, as far as I can
tell the STB/modem/whatever is entirely transparent...

--- Steve Purkis <steve at twistedfish.net> wrote: >
Thanks...

> Don't understand the bit about password for incoming
> connections??? Sounds a bit disturbing - at the
> moment I have Apache running & SSH/FTP - surely I
> can run these OK???
>
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:43:02 +0100
> "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb at dmlb.org> wrote:
>
> > I've had mine for a couple of years and ended up
> buying the modem with
> > Ethernet.
> >
> > The system is reasonably good. Essentially fixed
> IP address - it only
> > changes
> > if the PC MAC address changes or they change
> hardware. In the past two years
> > it has
> > happened twice. Incoming connections allowed as
> long as there is a password.
> >
> > Bad things. A year or so ago, one of their routers
> in Cambridge lost exactly
> > 50% of
> > the packets. It would come and go, but has been
> okay for ages now.
> >
> > Customer service isn't. But problems seem to get
> fixed within few hours, so
> > I just go back to watching porn off of old
> fashioned rusty plastic...

> ------

=====
Windows:  "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:  "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
FreeBSD:  "Are you guys coming or what?"