NTL "broadband" connection

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Mon Jun 2 12:43:02 BST 2003

> Dear all
>
> I connect a BSD "gateway" box to the net via BT ADSL USB modem
> at present & supply net connections to other BSD & Win machines
> on a little network. I'm considering moving to NTL & understand
> they supply a cable modem that can connect via USB or Ethernet
> (but not much detail on their site!).
>
> Are here any problems I should be aware of? Any comments on
> their service?

I've had mine for a couple of years and ended up buying the modem with
Ethernet.

The system is reasonably good. Essentially fixed IP address - it only
changes
if the PC MAC address changes or they change hardware. In the past two years
it has
happened twice. Incoming connections allowed as long as there is a password.

Bad things. A year or so ago, one of their routers in Cambridge lost exactly
50% of
the packets. It would come and go, but has been okay for ages now.

Customer service isn't. But problems seem to get fixed within few hours, so
I just go back to watching porn off of old fashioned rusty plastic...