VESA_800x600

Mark Lodge mark at depmod.net
Sun Jun 1 15:47:44 BST 2003

Hi all,

A couple of questions about console resolution. I'm running version 4.7 and have the following options compiled into my kernel:

options		VESA
options         SC_ALT_MOUSE_IMAGE
options         SC_MOUSE_CHAR=0x3
options         SC_PIXEL_MODE

I have a 21" monitor and a reasonable, if not a little old, graphics card (TNT 16MB RAM).

I used to run at 80x30 video mode but decided the text was too large. After some messing I have ended up running with VESA_800x600. It all works well, but I have now lost my little block mouse pointer (SC_MOUSE_CHAR=0x3) and am back to the "standard" white arrow you get when running the GENERIC kernel (i.e. without SC_ALT_MOUSE_IMAGE and SC_MOUSE_CHAR=0x3). It appears that the block pointer changes to an arrow whenever I use VESA but comes back if I switch to a non-VESA mode, like 80x30.

1)  Can I keep the block pointer when running VESA_800x600? And, if so, how?

2) I've spent ages messing around with vidcontrol, trying different video modes and fonts but none of them impress me :( I found that VESA_800x600 was the best of the bunch but could really do with a VESA_1024x768 or something similar. Does anyone have any suggestions or mode/font combinations I could try? I'd kill for something like my Linux "vga=792".

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Mark