Sound Driver Via

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sat Jul 26 19:37:55 BST 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 07:33:16PM +0100, Tyndall, B. wrote:
> 	Hi, im a newbie to freebsd. I just installed 5.1, but my sound isnt working, im not sure if I have to install the alsa sound drivers or not. the integrated sound I have with my shuttle mv42n board is Via AC97 sound, can someone please provide me with some steps to get this working please.

1) su to root
2) kldload snd_pcm
3) dmesg | tail
4) note down exactly which drivers probed and attached successfully
5) vi /boot/loader.conf.local and add that driver e.g. if it's ich
snd_ich_load="YES"
is the line you would add.

in the case of VIA, your driver will probably be snd_via82c686 or
snd_cmi.

BMS