X permissions

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 17:14:27 BST 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:28:36AM +0100, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:19:28PM +0100, Frank Shute wrote:

> > > Try using unix domain sockets, by specifying -display :0.0 explicitly
> > > as root. Works fine for me... with both rxvt and xterm.
> >
> > That's great. I su -l but it doesn't pick up $DISPLAY.
>
> That's deliberate.  su -l will clear yuor environment in order to make
> it look like a fresh login.
>
> You might wish to investigate sudo if you just want to run the
> occasional X program as root.  I find it very handy to be able to do
> "sudo ethereal" and have it work.

I use sudo but I wanted to launch the programs from an xterm where I'm
running as root.

What I've done is put this in root shell's rc:

TEST=$(ps ax | grep "bin\/X ")

if [ -z "$TEST" ]; then                 # no X
        :                               # do nothing
else
        if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ]; then      # X but no $DISPLAY
                export DISPLAY=:0.0
                echo "Set \$DISPLAY to $DISPLAY"
        else
                :
        fi
fi

Bit of a bodge but then there's nothing quite as enjoyable as bodging
things up with shell :)

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.