IM's

Lee Brotherston lee at nerds.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 13:11:02 BST 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:59:05PM +0100, MAWDSLEY, Adrian wrote:
> Is there a particular program that covers the wide rang of IM services out
> there.
> Ie Aim, Yahoo messenger, MSN Messenger, ICQ, etc
>
> Or will Gaim work under BSD through Linux Compatability

There are a few out there, and yes gaim does work, but I didn't find
it to be particularly stable.  Personally I'm pretty sold on bitlbee
(http://www.lintux.cx/bitlbee.html) for those occasions when I need to
enter the scarey land of IM, mainly because it provides you with an
irc interface to the IM networks which somehow makes me feel less
tainted ;)

centericq (in ports) supports networks such as MSN (despite it's name)
too.  And has the advantage of being terminal based for screen'ing.

  Lee

--
Lee Brotherston - <lee at nerds.org.uk>
Jar Jar Binks Makes The Ewoks Look Like Shaft