X permissions

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 18:19:28 BST 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 04:41:58PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 03:25:45PM +0100, Frank Shute wrote:
> > I wanted to give root at localhost access to X which is launched by
> > frank at localhost.
>
> Try using unix domain sockets, by specifying -display :0.0 explicitly
> as root. Works fine for me... with both rxvt and xterm.

That's great. I su -l but it doesn't pick up $DISPLAY.

> I should add my X server is locked down to not accept *any* TCP
> connections - it is unix domain sockets only.

I've got --notcp too as I'm a bit suspicious about X security - it
seems to be inordinately complicated.

> Recent ssh versions will forward connections to the unix domain
> socket correctly, I should add.

Thanks a lot Bruce. X should ship with a FAQ.

--

 Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

  It is our firm view that Number Ten tried to intimidate the BBC in
  its reporting of events leading up to the war and during the course
  of the war itself.
  		- BBC Director of News, Richard Sambrook

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/06_june/27/sambrook_letter.shtml