NTP problems

Gavin Davenport gavdav at gavdav.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 19 10:26:34 BST 2003

Hi there

I'm having real trouble understanding why NTP isn't keeping my BSD machine
in time.

This is after using cvsup to obtain the latest kernel and OS sources.

OS:
FreeBSD jeeves 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #3: Thu Jul 10 17:19:10 BST
2003     root at jeeves:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VECTRA  i386

NTP:
ntp-4.1.1c-rc3 from the ports collection.

I de-installed the prior version of NTP and remade it after cvsup had
completed.

NTP.conf:
bash-2.05b# more /etc/ntp.conf
server ntp 				(local cname to nearby NTP server)
server ntp.demon.co.uk		(an external one just in case)
server  127.127.1.0
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /usr/local/etc/ntp.drift
multicastclient                 # listen on default 224.0.1.1
broadcastdelay  0.008
authenticate no

Whats happening is that when the daemon is started the clock gets synced,
but then the local clock races ahead and gains huge amounts of time.
Its a day ahead within a day. The daemon doesn't seem to be able to use the
NTP sources and hold onto their time.

I've just noticed that I can rebuild NTP with -DDEBUG and maybe shed some
more light on the problem.

The host its on is very old, its more than likely its BIOS battery clock is
way out.

It worked properly before cvsup - what might I have (not) done ??

Gavs.