RAV AntiVirus for MailSevers [FreeBSD]

Lou Kamenov phayze at secureroot.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 14:32:27 BST 2003

In some email I received from Bruce M Simpson <bms at spc.org> on Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:12:55
+0100, wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 02:36:18PM +0100, Simon Kershaw wrote:
> > Actually SpamAssassin can be quite effective at trapping viruses. I find
> > that it traps pretty much every virus that comes my way (and that's
> > quite a lot -- several hundred a month).
>
> I just installed amavisd-new yesterday, smashing tool - it certainly
> helps to tie SA in with the rest of the mail delivery system, and makes
> it easier to roll in virus checking.
>
> Thanks for the tip though - most of the virus checkers are commercial, this
> helps us to avoid running into those costs sooner rather than later :-)

Amavisd-new is rather slow for delivery, at least that's what I get when I compared:

postfix+amavisd-new(SA, F-Prot)
qmail+qmail-scanner(SA, F-Prot)

(I've always been a qmail fan!)

Serge,

with qmail you can use qmail-scanner, it will automatically find things like AV & SA,
but there is something you should do before installing it, qmail needs to be patched with
the QMAIL_QUEUE patch.

Also I recommend  F-Prot, I've been using it for ages without any problems, AFAIK it was
free for small enterprises, otherwise the commercial license is about $300 (which is still
cheap).

HTH

cheers,
-lou