Reminiscences was: A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 20:47:07 BST 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:51:15PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:20:23PM +0100, Frank Shute wrote:
>
> > > I think 1980 is a bit too early.  As I heard the story, the whole web
> > > concept was inspired by Scientists at CERN sending each other LaTeX
> > > documents, and using a NeXTSTEP program to view the formatted text.
>
> > IBM make/made a plugin for Netscape to view LaTeX: techexplorer but I
> > thought WWW was developed at CERN for shunting around and linking any
> > sort of documentation. ie. html and http were sort of developed
> > alongside each other.
>
> Yup.  I was mistaken.  It wasn't the concept of the WWW so much ---
> which goes back a lot longer than 1980, but rather TBL's
> implementation that was inspired by the LaTeX viewer.  The need for
> HTML however was more to do with getting away from the restrictive
> document formatting requirements CERN had at the time.
>
> Heh --- just think how much bandwidth would be saved if the LaTeX-ish
> style of markup \foobar{...} had been adopted, rather than the
> SGML-ish <foobar>...</foobar>.  Maybe it's all the programming in
> languages that use {} as delimiters for blocks of code, but I find
> that style a lot easier to read than a typical chunk of XML.

I find it a hell of a lot easier to write too; less verbose and less
confusingly cluttered which I think is what makes it easier to read
too.

Despite having brace-matching on in my editor, I still tend to drop
end-braces all the time but I never seem to drop a > in html
though.....weird.

I suppose: LaTeX easier for humans to parse and SGML easier for
computers. I did read somewhere why the LaTeX form of mark-up was
deprecated but I can't remember if that was it. Probably more of a
historical accident than anything, as these things tend to be.

--

 Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

  It is our firm view that Number Ten tried to intimidate the BBC in
  its reporting of events leading up to the war and during the course
  of the war itself.
  		- BBC Director of News, Richard Sambrook

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/06_june/27/sambrook_letter.shtml