A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 16:48:03 BST 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 04:12:59PM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:

> Since we're never going to agree on something as ephemeral as the start

Paul, you should know by now I rarely agree on *anything*. :-)

> 1984 DNS system introduced, number of hosts 1000

I thought FTP'ing /etc/hosts around was prevalent until much later than
that.

> 1988 Internet work infects ~6000 of the 60,000 thousand hosts.

s/work/worm

> 1995 Start of .com bubble, registration of domain names is no longer
>      free, main US backbone now routed through interconnected providers.

I don't agree with that! :-) .com I think started in 97 proper. And the
domain registration thing went commercial earlier didn't it?

> 1996 33.6 and 56k modems become available. MCI upgrades US backbone from
>      155 to 622Mbps

I thought X2/K56 didn't turn up until around '97. And I could have sworn
33.6 were around in '95. My head has gone all wobbly.

> One interesting tidbit, which shows the madness of the .com boom. In
> 1997 business.com was sold for $150,000, which seemed outrageous enough
> when I read it. In 1999 it was sold again for $7.5million !!

I once tried buying akita.com for the company I was working for at the time.
The guy wanted $5,000. We passed.

--
Paul Robinson