A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jul 16 16:34:09 BST 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 03:53:48PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> > It's a bugbear of mine. How many viruses have you seen in the last five
> > years? One? Two? And how much does it cost in time, money, etc. to implement
> > proper virus scanning? Don't you feel it's all a bit out of proportion?
>
> I see at least one virus a week. Some days I find five or six in my mail
> in the mroning - usually copies of the same one. I dont know why youj see
> so few, but there are shedloads out there and we get them all the time.

I personally received several thousand copies of Sobig.E during the recent
outbreak, and another several thousand bounces caused by the way it forges
email. At work the filter I implemented filtered over 10000 copies in the
past three weeks. Email viruses are a *serious* problem.

Tony.
BERWICK ON TWEED TO WHITBY: EAST 3 OR 4, BACKING NORTHEAST 4 OR 5, LOCALLY 5
TO 7 OVERNIGHT. PATCHES MIST AND LOW CLOUD, SQUALLY SHOWERS OVERNIGHT.
MODERATE OR GOOD, OFTEN POOR. SLIGHT BUILDING MODERATE OR ROUGH.