A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Simon Dick simond at irrelevant.org
Wed Jul 16 15:26:39 BST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 15:01, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:20:12PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
>
> > > You probably don't need it. It impresses bosses that mail is being
> >
> > ???? Not sure why you say that. Nothing to do with bosses, I just dont want my
>
> It's a bugbear of mine. How many viruses have you seen in the last five
> years? One? Two? And how much does it cost in time, money, etc. to implement
> proper virus scanning? Don't you feel it's all a bit out of proportion?
> Plus, because I use FreeBSD, I don't think I've ever actually been affected
> by a virus. EVER. In some 15 years of daily computer usage. Perhaps I'm
> special. :-)

I've never had any, but where I work we get around 15-20 a day through
to the support email addresses so some form of virus protection is
essential for us.

> > > Sophos + Exiscan + Exim.
> >
> > Thats exim 4 isnt it ? Running 4 here on toybox and 3 on the home
> > machine (4 keeps dumping core at home, not figured out why as yet).
>
> Either 3 or 4. I liked 3, and wasn't sure about 4 at first, but I'm warming
> to it. It's just a pity it's not directly compatible with the Exim O'Reilly
> book. :-)

I like 4, and just get the book about v4 then :)

> > > Sophos is great to have on a FreeBSD box anyway...
> >
> > I am being swayed. Will go take alook.
>
> It *is* pricey though. Personally, if you want a simple setup, I'd go with
> it - it is powerful at what it does. I just don't think virus scanning per
> se is something that is as important as people pretend it to be.

I find mailscanner and f-prot to be fine, mainly as mailscanner manages
it so a single invocation of a virus scanner can scan multiple messages
at once, which does help reduce the overhead a bit