A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 15:01:34 BST 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:20:12PM +0100, Pete French wrote:

> > You probably don't need it. It impresses bosses that mail is being
>
> ???? Not sure why you say that. Nothing to do with bosses, I just dont want my

It's a bugbear of mine. How many viruses have you seen in the last five
years? One? Two? And how much does it cost in time, money, etc. to implement
proper virus scanning? Don't you feel it's all a bit out of proportion?
Plus, because I use FreeBSD, I don't think I've ever actually been affected
by a virus. EVER. In some 15 years of daily computer usage. Perhaps I'm
special. :-)

> > Sophos + Exiscan + Exim.
>
> Thats exim 4 isnt it ? Running 4 here on toybox and 3 on the home
> machine (4 keeps dumping core at home, not figured out why as yet).

Either 3 or 4. I liked 3, and wasn't sure about 4 at first, but I'm warming
to it. It's just a pity it's not directly compatible with the Exim O'Reilly
book. :-)

> my choice of MTA's :-) The only annoyance I have ever had with exim is
> its lack of backward portability - I tried many times to compile it
> on BSD 4.3 based systems and never managed it, so was stuck wth smail.

Yup. It won't do UUCP either. It's a moden MTA for a modern world. Who wants
BSD 4.3? :-)

> > Sophos is great to have on a FreeBSD box anyway...
>
> I am being swayed. Will go take alook.

It *is* pricey though. Personally, if you want a simple setup, I'd go with
it - it is powerful at what it does. I just don't think virus scanning per
se is something that is as important as people pretend it to be.

--
Paul Robinson