A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 14:19:13 BST 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:01:59AM +0100, Peter McGarvey wrote:

> My recollection of history is that the web was "invented" in 1980 by Tim
> Berners-Lee, and that he developed his ideas, eventually "inventing"
> HTTP in 1990.

I thought HTTP was much later than that. The date on the HTTP/1.0 RFC (RFC
1945) is May 1996, but by that point I think we were up to Netscape 2.0...
:-) I figured 1994, but his homepage states he wrote the first client and
server in 1990. Of course, that's not the same as the the web being built,
but it is a decent date to pick as any other. The short history which
doesn't really resolve this is here:

http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/ShortHistory.html

September '94 was the birth of the W3C.

--