A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Peter McGarvey fbsd-x at packet.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 12:12:54 BST 2003

* Pete French <pete at twisted.org.uk> [2003-07-16 11:41:47 BST]:
> But Uni's were connected to'the net' way way before that. Just that the net
> wasnt primarily TCP/IP based back then.  But this discussion isnt really about
> 'the internet' is it ? Its really about WWW - which is what more people mean
> when they say 'the net'.

That made me laugh.

Have you ever tried to explain the differance between the web and the
internet?

Infact have you ever tried to explain to someone why "an internet
address" (URL to you and me) doesn't need a "www" prefix?

I spent an hour trying to explain both concepts to my wife the other
day.  She eventually claimed to get it.  But I'm conviced she doesn't
really understand.  I'm sure this is mostly down to userfriendly
browsers that only prepend "http://" if there is a "www" prefix.  At
least she's started using the verbal shorthand "dub-dub-dub" instead of
"double-you-double-you-double-you".

So much techspeak that has made it into the common lexicon with slightly
skewed meanings.  I'm sure people use this pseudo-techspeak in an effort
to prove to the world they are the real world equivalent of "l33t".  I'm
always amused by phrases like:

    "I need to download from my hard drive to a floppy"

or

    "logon to my website at www.somelamesite.org"

or

    "I couldn't send my mail, because my mailbox on the server got
    corrupted"

But best of all is the belief that all problems are because:

    "it's got a virus"

--
TTFN, FNORD

Peter McGarvey