A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 11:40:20 BST 2003

> Anyone have a definite date of when JANET switched to TCP/IP?

They started out offering IP tunnneled over the normal service - JIPS it
was called I think. That was very early 90's (91ish ? 92ish ?). Coloured
books certainly continued fora while after that. I dont know when it
switched completely to TCP/IP though.

But Uni's were connected to'the net' way way before that. Just that the net
wasnt primarily TCP/IP based back then.  But this discussion isnt really about
'the internet' is it ? Its really about WWW - which is what more people mean
when they say 'the net'.

-bat.