Building ports on another machine

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 03:17:20 BST 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:53:10AM +0000, Guy Harper wrote:

> I've not had good experiences with packages in the past, as I find they
> tend to be too inflexible.

You appear to have missed Michael's suggestion of using make package.

Expanrding on this:

Build the port as usual.  With the customisations you require.

Then "make package" - which will build a package file from the port you've just built.

Take the package tar file over to the place you want it and pkg_add it.

Modulo make.conf differences, different families of installed software
(I'm typing this on a machine running KDE 1.1.2), etc, thats about it.

--
Adrian