vinum on freebsd 5.1

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 00:51:00 BST 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:56:33PM +0100, Robin Garbutt wrote:

> Before, I used to create a partition called /data that would be
> vinumed, but apparently vinum on freebsd 5.1 can mirror the boot files
> aswell, so so I still need to make a partion, or do I just install 5.1
> as usual and then amend the boot/loader.conf file to start it?

The Handbook is your friend

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-root.html

You do have to do things sligtly differently to cater for a vinumed root
- such as starting vinum earlier.

I'm still using 4.8-STABLE (where you have to set up a few more
loader.conf variables), and have one server which is totally vimumed.
root, swap, usr, home and var all mirrored, plus a chunk of striped
space.  So far, so good.

The above handbook section explains the disk labeling kludge^W trick
necessary to allow the BIOS and bootstrap to find something to boot.

I don't know who made the kernel and loader changes, but thank-you
whoever you are!

--
Adrian Wontroba