JDK question

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 22:32:05 BST 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 08:24:55PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 02:35:07AM +0100, Frank Shute wrote:
> > I've downloaded and installed the Linux version of Sun's JDK 1.4.
> >
> > The only problem with it is that I have to run everything as root
> > otherwise it core dumps.
> >
> > I wondered if there was any mileage in downloading the native BSD JDK?
> > I'd want the 1.4 version (the regexp library looks useful).
> >
> > Anybody got any experience with any of the 1.4 JDKs?
>
> I'm running 1.4.1-p3 right now with the 'experimental' patchset and
> is delivering Java Web Start applications and applets for me just fine.
>
> I did notice a cosmetic problem with the compiler - it complains of not
> being able to find the message catalogue - but it can compile Java code
> just fine.
>
> The dust is still settling!

It looks that way ;)

I'll make do with the Sun-Linux version for the moment. If I go
carefully hopefully I wont trash my machine ... on occasion though I
am known to do something stupid.

I don't want to go through the pain of downloading it over a 56k link
either, not until it settles down.

--

 Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

 "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear -- kept us
 in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor -- with the cry of grave
 national emergency... Always there has been some terrible evil to
 gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by furnishing the
 exorbitant sums demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem
 never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real."

		-- General Douglas MacArthur, 1957