A bit OT - Urban Myths?

Jim Dixon jdd at dixons.org
Sun Jul 6 12:41:10 BST 2003

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Jonathan Belson wrote:

> On Sunday 06 July 2003 11:21 am, cb wrote:
>
> > 1. That there is no reason why any personal computer would ever need more
> > tha a megabyte of RAM; [maybe around 1985]
>
> Bill Gates denied evey saying this.  I'd imagine that it's just a jibe at
> the fact the original PC design only lets you directly access 640KB (in
> real mode).

Around 1980 Microsoft was making a lot of money selling kits that turned
Apple IIs into real(er) computers.  As I recall, the kits included 64KB to
256KB of RAM.  Bill Gates certainly understood that PCs needed more memory
than the computer manufacturers were allowing for.

--
Jim Dixon  jdd at dixons.org   tel +44 117 982 0786  mobile +44 797 373 7881